Sunday, June 11, 2006

Dead Time Due To Deadwood

I have a couple of things in the works, but we are fast approaching the time when I retire to the couch and watch really great television so I’ll save them for tomorrow.  I don’t watch much TV during the week, but that’s only because all the good shows are on Sundays.

Tonight is the season premier of Deadwood, by far the best show on television today.  Two years ago, when I watched the first episode, The Sopranos instantly dropped to second place.  It is the ugliness of American history right alongside the convoluted integrity that we like to claim as our heritage.  It is the bare knuckles politics of forming a country and the sexist, racist, violent reality from which we were born.  What’s not to love about that?

I am going the way of the couch potato tonight, so you’re on your own cocksuckers!  If you watch Deadwood you know what I’m saying, if not, you really must check it out.  And even though I recently learned that the ratio of “fuck” to “cocksucker” in this series is around 10 to 1, the latter is definitely the standout word that is hard to ignore (or resist using, unfortunately).

6 Comments:

Anonymous geocrackr said...

I don't know about that, LG. I've heard similar good things about Deadwood, and tried watching once or twice but just couldn't get into it. I couldn't get over the feeling that all of the gratuitous "fuck"s were an anachronism the only purpose of which was to titillate and convey low-class "grittiness".

My own "can't miss" show is Battlestar Galactica (Sci Fi Friday!), which has a fantastic cast and complex, unflinching writing -- with robots! Of course they're on haitus right now, and with the season premiere not until October (!) I'm at something of a loss... I suppose I could give Deadwood another shot.

8:02 PM  
Blogger Godlessfriend said...

I'm going to buy a motherfucking television right now...Well, when I'm sober enough. I mean when I get paid and I'm sober...at the same time. Probably.

8:03 PM  
Blogger DarthImmortal said...

I am really looking forward to Deadwood. In fact, I love the show so much I just returned from a vacation to Deadwood.

Did you know this will be the final season? Milch decided to call it quits after the taping of the final episode. However, they did talk him into doing 3 movies next year to wrap up everything.

By the way, I really like your blog and your writings. Keep up the good work.

9:31 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

Hey, I'm not the only one on here that tossed the TV! Comcast is, "The Man" and they were keeping me down.

9:59 PM  
Blogger The (liberal)Girl Next Door said...

Geocrackr--Sci-fi has never been my thing, I always appreciate the political bent but the robots freak me out!

Godlessfriend--Now that television provides little or no real information about the world around us or the workings of our government, it is nothing more than the opiate of the masses. I resist as much as I can, but watching the occasional "news" shows gives me plenty of motivation to blog about what they leave out or spin so blatantly and Sunday night is a nice entertainment break. Justifications I know, but that's where I am on this one.

Darthimmortal--I did hear that the show is ending after this season. Maybe I'll get rid of my television after that.

Michael--Good for you. The farthest I've ever gotten was unplugging the thing and keeping it in the closet for a year. Now that I have kids, getting rid of it seems harder and more important at the same time.

8:43 AM  
Anonymous lester said...

"ultimate fighter 3" is the best. It has way more brazilian ju jitsu than deadwood

10:26 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home