Thursday, July 20, 2006

I Got Carried Away By My New Biodieselmobile

I meant to blog today, but early this morning we were informed that our new (well used, but new to us) diesel engine truck (well, SUV but I hate admitting that part) had finally made it to Seattle (well, Tacoma, but close enough) so we had to go get it right away. Not because they said we had to, but because we just couldn’t wait to fill it up with bio-fuel and bench (once and for all) our gas guzzling mini-van.

So I spent the day dealing with all that comes with taking possession of a new car, insurance, registration, fueling it up and most importantly, putting new bumper stickers on. We decided against covering the entire backside with liberal slogans and instead settled on a few good ones. “Biodiesel, No War Required” being my favorite. That is until I get a replacement for my all time favorite sticker now adorning the minivan, “dubya dubya dubya dot liar dot con.” I still get compliments on that one, even from Republicans.

So, thanks to Al Gore and his “little movie” An Inconvenient Truth, I now have compact florescent light-bulbs everywhere, I am constantly screeching “turn that off” at my kids, I walk more than I used to, my front door is, thanks to the new weather stripping, virtually vacuum sealed and nearly impossible to open, and now I have a car that smells like burnt popcorn when I start it up. Minor inconveniences all and surely only the start of what I can do to reduce my carbon footprint but jeez, as much as I hope we survive long enough to see a sequel, I hope it doesn’t come out until after I’ve made it through the first list of things to do. I’m thinking that should be sometime around next July.

4 Comments:

Blogger The (liberal)Girl Next Door said...

Michael--Yes, new diesel cars are very expensive and sometimes hard to find. That's why we went with a 1998 Suburban, it was one of the last years they made them and it's big enough for my husband to haul all his stuff. But even that was hard to find, we had to buy it from a dealer in Virginia and have it shipped to Seattle.

I would have preferred a new car, but we simply can't afford it either. I have heard that diesel engines run forever though, I hope "they" are right. I'm also hoping that by the time this one wears out, there will be an inexpensive alternative with zero emissions, electric or fuel cell or whatever.

Good for you with the bike, they are way better than any car, for the environment and for your health. My husband rides to work every day, we just need to get the rest of us on two wheels too.

10:50 PM  
Blogger Yellow Dog said...

I have 217000 miles on my truck. I make my own biodiesel. Rock on, girl.

5:48 PM  
Blogger Howard Martin said...

You blog and WALK YOUR TALK, too?? I hate you!

7:05 AM  
Blogger Sara said...

Oh, drat. I was just about to say "Rock on, Girl!" but just saw that yellow dog used those same words with only a slight capitalization variance. Oh well, it's been a long and painful day.

We went with a jetta TDI a couple of years ago to run on bio-d and are very happy with our choice. Now, we're just waiting with baited breath for Honda to deliver on their diesels-in-the-US-by-2010 promise, and we'll be a 2-car biodiesel family.

Hi, (liberal)Girl! I joined the confab sofa with you awhile back and visited tonight to hear your take on the DOMA decision... nice response.

6:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home