Thursday, September 14, 2006

May She Rest In Peace

I was saddened to hear of the passing of Ann Richards last night.  George Bush may give Texas a bad name, but Ann Richards did just the opposite.  Any state that can produce Ann Richards and Molly Ivins, is okay by me.  One of my favorite Ann Richards quips comes courtesy of Molly Ivins in her book Shrub.  While Governor of Texas, Richards was being lobbied hard by the NRA to sign a concealed weapons bill and at one point, they even attempted to appeal to the Governors feminist side by suggesting that women would feel safer if allowed to carry a gun in their purse.  As Governor Richards vetoed the bill as promised, she said, “You know that I am not a sexist, but there’s not a woman in this state who could find a gun in her handbag.”  Every time I’m digging around in my purse for my keys, I always think of Ann Richards.  She was smart, tough, funny as hell and so much more.  She will be greatly missed.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I liked the line: "Poor George, he can't help it. He was born with a silver foot in his mouth."

10:16 AM  
Blogger The (liberal)Girl Next Door said...

David--I loved that too! I heard someone say today that poor George Jr. was born with a silver spoon up his nose.

1:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved when she opened her DNC speech by saying.."I'm Ann Richards. I'm pro-choice, and I vote." Good lord, we need more like her. Godspeed, Ann.

6:42 PM  
Blogger The Local Crank said...

Hers was the first real campaign I worked for (Dukakis-Bentsen '88 doesn't count; I said REAL campaign). She was an absolutely wonderful person and I miss the hell out of her already. In an age of pre-fab, poll-tested, blow-dried pretty-boy politicians, she will be remembered as one of the last Texas pols with an authentic personality. God bless, Governor Ann.

9:18 PM  
Blogger BigNewsDay said...

Being a Texas Democrat, I had much respect and much love for Ann Richards. I was truly saddened by the news of her passing. She was one hell of a woman who showed other women that they can make a difference.

Rest in Peace Governor Richards!

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home