Wednesday, November 08, 2006

I’m Not Used To Feeling This Way The Day After An Election!

Wow, I’m still a little bit in shock that this election went relatively smoothly and fell pretty much as predicted.  I have said all along that close races weren’t an option for the Democrats, that they had to win big, and win big they did in House races at least, but I’m still stunned that the close Senate races went for the Democrats.  Not that the people voted to put Democrats in office, but that there was no attempt to skew the close races.  And amazingly (or not) the exit polls were accurate this time, but that only solidifies my belief that the exit polls were right last time too.

On the bright side, I am happy to admit that my pessimism about the mid-terms being conducted in a fair and open manner was, while not without warrant, certainly wrong.  The people of this country have spoken and they are ready for a new direction, on Iraq, on energy policy and most certainly on corruption in our Capitol.  This was a national election and the voters spoke with one voice, we need oversight and we need action.  A Democratic Congress better be ready to deliver.  In this, the honeymoon period, I am willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Locally and nationally there is still a question as to how the election went.  Darcy Burner is currently trailing Dave Reichert, but all the votes haven’t been counted yet and it’s still too close to call.  The Senate race in Virginia is also a squeaker and Senator Allen is in the process of figuring out if a recount makes sense for him.  I am not one to join the chorus of those encouraging Senator Allen to concede.  If the result is determined within one half of one percent, he is well within his rights to ask for a recount, regardless of how difficult it will be for him make up the difference.  I would always rather wait for a result if it means all of the votes will be counted.  I hope Darcy Burner takes her time in making her decision as well.  We aren’t anywhere near a recount in that race at this point, we still need to make sure that all of the ballots are counted for the first time.

My head is still a little fuzzy at this point, too much activity while already sick, and I’m not yet clear on what I think all of this means, but I do know that I’m happy and optimistic for a change.  There is so much work to do, so many truths to get at and so many messes to fix, but at least there is a chance to start doing that hard work now.  Donald Rumsfeld is gone, the President has strayed a bit from Cheney’s psychotic side and we are about to have the first female Speaker of the House.  I’d say this election has already started to change the country for the better.  Tomorrow I might even wake up and search for more signs that perhaps our long national nightmare is coming to a close.  What a nice change that will be.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As for corruption, there are Dems out there that are tainted and should be run out of DC soon. I hope the new Dems can run them out.

I'm cynical that this will happen. DC can be such a tar baby about power and its corrupting influences.

I fear we'll just hear excuses and "this wasn't as bad as those repuclicans"

Which will confirm that dems/reps are not much different.
sigh

6:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anonymous Said:

"I hope...I'm cynical....I fear...which will.. confirm...sigh"

The mental enervation of a defeated wingnut summed up!

Where is the moral clarity, black and white, good VS bad
certitude that usually predominates?

There are gradations of incompetence and corruption.
Let's just see where the Dems fall on that scale before lumping them in with the child predators and sanctimonious hypocrites who comprise so much of the Repug Party.

Don't let the door hitcha where the good Lord splitcha: George Mcacca Allen, "man on dog" Sanitorium and the Repug who beat his mistress in particular!

10:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's too bad about Darcy's impending loss to Reichert. I have never had as much enthusiasm as I have for Darcy, for any other politician.

If Darcy would've run ads to directly refute the RNCC and Reichert ads charging her as a tax raiser, she would've won by 3,000 instead of losing by that much (well, projected loss margin).

I grew up on the Eastside (now live in Seattle). Taxes sit atop of the voting agenda in the 8th District. This district isn't primarily conservative because of religion/social values....it's conservative based on libertarian type values:

Taxes
Free-Market Economy
Small Government (Fiscal)
Government Intrusion

Darcy was doing fine on the other three listed below taxes. It was the (bogus) specter of tax increases that did her in. Her campaign did an outstanding job linking Reichert to Bush; but that wasn't enough since Reichert negated a lot of the potential cross-over vote from leaving the GOP by effectively challenging her experience.

Now to most of us that read this blog, the charge of her being inexperienced and ill-equipped to be a congresswoman is laughable.

We didn't need convincing. It was this 47-yr old Pierce County voter that needed convincing (from a Seattle P-I article):

"I've seen a lot of (Burner's) ads putting him down. ... Usually the more you put somebody down, the less I'm going to vote for you," Rollins said.

"The only thing I now about her is she hasn't run for office, and she's going to charge the taxpayers more money," he said.


Do you see how his comments show that those RNCC and Reichert ads worked? He practically repeated the message of those ads, verbatim.

He probably doesn't even realize the irony of letting an attack ad drive his voting decision while decrying them.

10:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home