Thursday, October 26, 2006

Is It Denial Or Plausible Deniability?

According to President Bush, we are winning in Iraq and the GOP will win at the polls.  Black is white, up is down and we should be prepared for mainstream media to accept Karl Rove’s secret polls as the gospel while they reject the validity of their own.  This bizarro world is exhausting for those of us that reside in the reality based world, but it must feel more like a carnival ride to the suckers that buy this GOP ticket to ride and prefer to be shaken, not stirred.  I have a hard time believing that the rank and file Republican voters will stay on the ride willingly while they’re tossing their cookies all over themselves, but if they don’t, there’s got to be a way to shut the thing down.  Can’t we just say it’s for scheduled maintenance?  Where’s the fucking off switch?

I’m torn about this election and what to make of it.  I want to believe that the voters have had enough of this corrupt Congress and are as disgusted as I am with the slimy tactics they are employing in a desperate attempt to pull this thing out.  I want to have faith that the system works, but there’s just too much evidence to the contrary and my gut tells me that all this positive talk about the Republicans maintaining control of Congress is nothing more than preparation for their “unbelievable” last minute surges at the polls and plausible deniability that the fix was in.  I’m afraid that the best possible outcome is mass chaos at the polls, with malfunctioning machines, long lines and millions of voters turned away due to scrubbed voter rolls and insufficient identification.  And the worst part is, there will be no way to sort it all out without a paper trail.  

We’ve had an election decided by the Supreme Court, an election decided in a building in Ohio that was locked down by Homeland Security while the last remaining votes were tallied in secret, so I guess an election decided by the old schoolyard slogan, “possession is 9/10ths of the law” seems about par for the coarse!  I want so much to be wrong.  I want the public to exert their will and I want their will to be honored, but in this ruthless political climate and with so much of our system corrupted, I’m just not convinced it will work out that way.  I’ll be pleasantly surprised if it does, but emotionally prepared if it doesn’t.  I was caught off guard last time around and the fallout was ugly.  I have already mourned the loss of what I thought America was, now my only concern is salvaging what’s left and attempting to rebuild out of the rubble.

One thing I know for sure is that now is the time to engage.  I want these thugs to have to expose themselves, to rip off the mask that is hiding the ugly truth.  I want this election to be so one sided that it will strain even the most dogged Bush supporter’s conscience to defend their miraculous win.  On the surface, this election is about winning, but it’s also about cracking the veneer.  If the Democrats take over, it means digging beneath the surface and ferreting out the rot.  And if the GOP holds on, it means we the people will have to do it for them.  Either way, this election is just the beginning.  Vote, and then be prepared to back it up with action.  We’ve got a long, long, long road ahead.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Isn't everything a SECRET though in the House That Bush built, LGND ?

From Karl Rove's mysterious polls to the White House's confidential intelligence sources in the run up to the Iraq invasion the American public is asked to accept their contentions blindly on faith rather than the facts.

Neocons are fond of depicting their opposition as irresponsible liberals whenever the winds of change are imminent.

I have another characterization for Republicans that more accurately describes their behavior which I elaborate on in my latest Column.

The "L" Word

You choose bizarre to depict them and I take it one step further fixing in the minds of the public a mental representation which exposes their fallacies for what they are.

Great work but have a little faith in voters capacity to recognize their past mistakes. They want change and this time the demand is coming from the middle class who're the sector that's been negatively impacted by the recklessness of this Congress the most.

11:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TLGND,

I totally can relate to your sentiment. I literally lay awake at night sometimes scared that no matter how much Republicans & conservative independents have grown to hate Bush, they still pull the lever for an R. That they let the tired rhetoric of raising taxes and Nancy Pelosi liberalism affect their vote.

8:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Shall we go one step further?

Do we need to be reminded of the issues with the electronic voting machines? Diebold and the other 3 companies in question?

Ya know...I hate like hell quoting dictators, but I heard this quote tonight:

"The people who cast the votes decide nothing. The people who count the votes decide everything."

Scary thought!

That was from Joseph Stalin.

If you vote absentee, make a copy and lock it up in a safe place. If you vote in the booth, make a list of who and what you voted for - lock it up. Will it do any good? Is it necessary? Beats me, but at least you have a record of it.

Rove's "polls" bother me. Maybe he's just trying to blow a little smoke up the ass of America, but he's such an evil bastard that I choose not to trust him. I wouldn't put a stunt like this past him.

Like many, I marched and protested back in the 60's. If I have to do it again, I'll be out there. Maybe not as peaceful as back then either.

Then it was "ban the bomb" and "stop the war." It's a sad thing to have to say that this is much more serious. The future of this great country is at stake.

M

1:53 AM  
Blogger jae said...

"I want to have faith that the system works, but there’s just too much evidence to the contrary and my gut tells me that all this positive talk about the Republicans maintaining control of Congress is nothing more than preparation for their “unbelievable” last minute surges at the polls and plausible deniability that the fix was in."

Yep. That about sums it up.

So get ready for 'You Lost. Get Over It' all over again

6:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Follow up on my previous comment:

If anyone thinks that we are not in a fight to keep our right to vote, please please take a look at this post from The Brad Blog. There's some documentation of vote-flipping from people that chose to vote early.

9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home