Friday, November 18, 2005

Sometimes Ice Cream Does Make Things All Better


I watched the proceedings in the House today and got all riled up.  At last some debate on the war in Iraq.  Yes, it was a Republican stunt and yes it was limited to an hour, but the Repugs found it ample time to drag out their tired and untrue catch phrase about “staying the course” and “we have to fight them there so we don’t have to fight them here” crap. And the Dems pretended as if they had some credibility on the issue and that what they said would be reflected by their actions.  I was red hot and angry and ready to sit down and write and then an amazing thing happened.  Life.  

My nine year old daughter had a couple of friends come over and they immediately started chomping away on the fruit in the fruit bowl until my father in law suggested ice cream and received squeals of delight in response.  I was just going to eat a small scoop with the kids and then go write, but then the three girls started playing guitar and singing and I realized that there is more to life than being outraged at our government.  Here were three very amazing little American girls from different backgrounds sharing a common love of music and creating something out of nothing.  It was beautiful, a far too perfect image for me to tarnish by following it up with the venting of my anger over the state of our country.  There’s plenty of time for that tomorrow.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My favorite post to date. I love all of your writing and read your blog daily. This one really touched my heart. We should be outraged and fight for change, but when we forget to to enjoy life's simple pleasures (especially with our kids)we have really lost the battle.
What a gift you are giving to your daughter in demonstrating the strength and intelligence of a powerful woman, at the same time being a fun and loving mom. I wish you were my mom!

8:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hallelujah! I like anonymous finally posting that he/she reads your writings daily. I try to, but some days I am so busy I must wait a day. I find myself hungry for your writings. Thanks for this one, especially, because it is the truth, whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Family is first, and although our extended family is our fellow countrymen and countrywomen, our core value system is first and foremost, our intimate-family system. And the arts -- ahhhh, the arts, soul food. It is this love of self, creative genius, and our family love model, that heals us, inside and out.

12:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home