Monday, February 06, 2006

More Fake Hearings In Our Sham Democracy

“Alberto Gonzales, do you swear that the testimony you are about to give is factual and truthful to the best of your knowledge? Oh, never mind, we don’t need to bother with this quaint technicality. Just tell us what you want us to believe and we will dutifully pass it on to our constituents.”

As if AG Gonzales would have any qualms at all in obscuring the truth under oath, the Senate decided to give him a free pass anyway today as Republicans on the Senate Judiciary Committee block Democratic attempts to put the AG under oath. Republicans aren’t even interested in making the proceedings appear to be legitimate, that is how deeply entrenched their power now is and how blatant their disregard for truth and the law has become. Nothing new really, just another day in the American Empire and one more blow to the façade of our dead democracy.

When they don’t even bother to package the lies, we should all wonder how long before the mask is ripped off and the ugly truth is revealed. We are in the throes of fascism and the Imperial Senate is rapturously writhing in the divine pleasure of total domination in their realm while simultaneously kneeling at the altar of Bush and offering the bloodied and beaten carcass of American society as a sacrifice to him. It’s almost gothic in its self-indulgent grandiosity, grotesque in its implications and nauseating to watch yet virtually impossible to turn away from. We know we should avert our eyes, but we can’t.

Every day I wake up and hope to find my tinfoil hat. I want to be wrong, to be paranoid, to be wildly overreacting, but every day I can’t ignore what I see. King George wants to be the sole authority in determining enemies of the state, use his judgment rather than the law in tracking those enemies, capture them or kill them using his own police force and use his unitary power as the executive to root out dissenters which he can then tag as enemies of the state. Wow, nothing to worry about there. And this is not speculation but rather the stated intentions of the Bush administration. They believe themselves to possess this authority. All that’s left is selling it to Congress (which shouldn’t be hard) and then the public.

Maybe tomorrow when I wake up, instead of looking for my tinfoil hat, I’ll just drink the glass of red liquid that mysteriously appears on my nightstand each day. It smells kinda fruity, almost like Kool Aid, I wonder where it comes from. Best just to drink it and not ask questions, after all, the best things in life are free right? Like Democracy, oh wait, that’s not right. Like justice, no, that’s not it either. Like blind faith, no, there’s a huge price for that too, in fact one half of the country is paying the price for the blind faith of the other half. The Kool Aid may be free if you drink it, but that’s only because someone else is picking up the tab. Since I’m not good at passing the buck, I guess I have no choice but to keep pouring the red liquid down the drain and continue the search for my hat. If you find it, let me know.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mollie,

I'm glad you could find neither your tin foil hat nor the Kool-Aid last night!

I prefer being able to read your blogs rather than your obituary. 'Pushing off' foul, my ass! That TD might have changed the entire complexion of the game.

Dale

3:09 PM  
Blogger The (liberal)Girl Next Door said...

Thanks Dale! I'll stay away from the Kool Aid, I promise.

And the pushing off foul didn't even piss me off as much as the touchdown that wasn't a touchdown, "broke the plane my ass!" But congrats to the Steelers none the less!

3:17 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i'm a steelers fan, but i even thought some of those calls were foul. that's not why i'm posting though. INCREDIBLE post from you is what i wanted to say. it's exactly how i feel but instead of kool aid they leave me stoli. tempting, but i won't drink it either

3:29 PM  
Blogger Rory Shock said...

excellent post

4:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pittsburg fan since they won their second Championship. But, alas, I can’t intelligently comment on the official’s calls that you folks reference. I didn’t watch the game.

Why didn’t Spector have Abu Gonzales take an oath? Abu said he’d be happy to, why not just do it? Maybe he thought it wouldn’t do any good. Abu perjured himself in front of that very committee during his confirmation hearings.

6:06 PM  
Blogger Rory Shock said...

gonzales made the news at roryshock today in relation to the revelation of killing fields in Crawford, TX ... what you see there doesn't make you spit out your cool aid ... well then I'll have to try somethin' else ... also, you gotta go back to my verle smegma sou abstinence/gay marriage post to see the comment by "Margaret of Merryall" ... well you don't have to ... but her comment rocks

6:41 PM  
Blogger Neil Shakespeare said...

I know. Every day I wake up with hope in my heart and then I turn on my computer and...WHAMMO!! Another Bush idiocy exposed! Usually five or six a day. Somebody (maybe it was you) was talking about "cynical exhaustion syndrome" striking them. Me too.

5:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

RE: 'Cynical exhaustion
syndrome'. I prefer to take the statement by comedian
Lily Tomlin as my guide.

"No matter how cynical I become, it's never enough to keep up"!

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home