Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Some Scary, Some Vile And Some Funny

We say opinion, but they say sedition. After my last post about Bush administration attempts to silence the media and the fear that there could be a return to the days of reporters and citizens being charged with sedition for daring to speak out against our government, this new case was brought to my attention. Amy Goodman of Democracy Now interviews Laura Berg, a Veterans Affairs nurse investigated for sedition after writing a letter critical of the Bush administration to her local newspaper. A transcript of the interview is available at Democracy Now. It may not yet be time to panic, but it’s certainly time to pay close attention and be ready to panic at any moment. (Thanks to Yellow Dog for bringing this to my attention.)



I have not been able to write anything coherent about the South Dakota abortion ban as every time I try, the rage overwhelms me and nothing productive comes out. But sometimes venting is the exact right thing to do. For an explicit, angry and right on post about South Dakota’s vile, repugnant and tragic view of women, check out Rory Shock’s “Asshole South Dickota Governor Mike Rounds Gives More Rights to Nonsentient Lumps of Flesh than to Raped Children”. As you can tell from the title, it’s not for the fainthearted but I found that it hit the spot and was the perfect cathartic read.



On the lighter side of things, over at Democratic Underground, my dad pokes a little fun at the President. “The Do-It-Yourself Online Presidential Leadership Quiz” by Mark W. Bradley is the funniest thing I read today (certainly funnier than Amy Goodman’s interview with Ms. Berg and Rory’s references to child rape). If this idiot can do it, perhaps any idiot can.

13 Comments:

Blogger pissed off patricia said...

Was that really written by your dad? If so he's a very funny guy. If I hadn't visited your site I would have missed that. Thank you so much. He's great!

7:12 PM  
Blogger The (liberal)Girl Next Door said...

Pissed Off Patricia--He is in fact my dad. I'm trying to get him to join me in a joint blogging venture. More on that as the lobbying continues.

8:33 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

by the way, everytime i write about laura berg (i think it's only been twice actually) my blog gets hits from ALL SORTS o' government 'agencies'

funny huh?

3:13 AM  
Blogger druidbros said...

And you do know that sedition was REPEALED in 1921? They ,of course, are using an unlawful old law to try and silence Laura Berg.

4:00 AM  
Blogger druidbros said...

In addition, another blog has a great suggestion about a protest to Soth Dakota. Brilliant at Breakfast suggests sending red dyed tampons to the govenour! She is checking into the legality of sending medical things through the mail. See..http://brilliantatbreakfast.blogspot.com/

But remember its only stained with red dye.

4:05 AM  
Blogger Yellow Dog said...

Rose,

I'm new to this whole blog thing. How can you tell who is looking at your blog?

6:20 AM  
Blogger The (liberal)Girl Next Door said...

Yellow Dog--get a site meter (click on the icon at the bottom of my blog and you can sign up for one, it's free).

8:29 AM  
Blogger Rory Shock said...

Man, I got a little paranoid 'cause my "modem" died last night and I missed a bunch of fun ... sedition act, huh? Oh boy ... they are definitely pushin' the limits ... hey thanks for the link ... I ain't done with this issue yet ... today Rory's just a simmerin' a little bit ... rock on liberal girl

9:07 AM  
Blogger Rory Shock said...

thanks also for the link to the berg transcript ... vile dimwits who put her through this ... they are in fact seditious traitors to "freedom"

9:10 AM  
Blogger BigNewsDay said...

Site Meter is a wonderful thing.

Keep up the powerful writting!

10:08 AM  
Blogger Yellow Dog said...

Thank you, LGND.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Yellow Dog said...

Site meter installed. Freaky!

10:15 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

sorry yellowdog i didn't see your question until now BUT my dear friends indeed directed you to the right place.

sometimes i scare myself when i check site meter.

2:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home