Friday, May 26, 2006

All Apologies

After watching George Bush try his hand at contrition, I immediately thought about the bullies I’ve known through the years. Most of them apologize at some point, but the apologies are never sincere and are only doled out with sarcasm or as a last ditch effort to get what they want when the bullying fails.

I think back to by grade school years and there were always bullies. Arrogant, insecure little boys that made themselves feel bigger by cutting other people down were despised and feared. I remember once, our resident bully John, in the middle of terrorizing a much smaller boy that had somehow ended up in his sights that day, John stopped and put his arms around the boy and said “I’m sorry man, you didn’t do anything wrong.” The two actually formed a sort of friendship after that and for the first time in the five years I’d known John, I actually had a little respect for him. He continued to be arrogant and a jerk, but the hardcore bullying stopped for the most part. I don’t know what kind of epiphany John had, but he admitted his mistakes at the height of his power and because he didn’t have to, I grudgingly accepted that he wasn’t all bad.

President Bush could have followed that model and admitted his mistakes when he was riding high on approval ratings that were bolstered up by his bullying behavior. He could have apologized for his inflammatory remarks like “bring it on” and “wanted dead or alive,” when it would have been sincere, but he didn’t. When the bully apologizes after having been beat down by the rest of the group, sitting in the puddle and looking around desperately for one friendly face, it garners no respect, it’s just pitiful and sad. Bush has earned his low approval rating. He has been bullying Americans and the rest of the world since his first day in office. Apologizing for his arrogant words, swaggering demeanor and bullying ways while he’s sitting in the mud looking for a way out means nothing. If he was viewed as weak before, he’s now moved into the realm of pathetic.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I doubt anyone was watching. all the republicans have moved on to immigration and he's certainly not going to win any liberals over in his lifetime. I'm not a bitter liberal. I'd stick up for him if i thought he deserved it, but I don' feel I can. not yet anyway.

10:28 AM  
Blogger thehim said...

George Bush is starting to finally realize that it's important to have allies. It's too late, for both him and the country. The problem with Iran is one entirely of Bush's own making and what happened last night was Blair going from being Bush's poodle to being the only friendly face after Bush got pushed into the puddle by the rest of the world over Iraq.

12:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

that iran comment was so dumb. Iran insisting on developing nuclear power is not "walking away from the table". That's what he was referring to I'm assuming. Blair is like George Tenet. I liked him at first till I realized he was one them: a neo con!!!

2:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gave Blair credit for far longer than I should have too. Bush I immediately perceived as the retrograde cretin that he is. But Blair had to convince me of his arrogance and mendacity over time. Maybe it's the accent.

5:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Given the things he's done and failed to do that have had deadly consequences for others, that Bush would list as his big mistakes a couple of potentially off-putting statements and a certain lack of sophistication is breathtakingly shallow, even for him.

There was no humility or self-revelation in his tacky response. None. There was a self-serving, calculated strategem.

Did anyone else notice that his response was instantaneous, in marked contrast to his lengthy hemming and hawing a couple of years ago when asked about mistakes?

I don't know if whoever asked him the question this time was in on it beforehand, but I'm convinced Bush had a planned, rehearsed response. A pathetic one, but a ready one.

8:50 PM  
Blogger Matthew Bamberg said...

Resolute, resolve was the name of the game; now it's saying sorry, a word that in no way makes thier war crimes acceptable. If a convicted felon on death row says sorry, does he/seh get off?

12:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pathetic indeed, and he's taking the party down with him. But ironically, his greatest misdeed may not be the most visible (Iraq), it may turn out to be the national debt.

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish we could have a formal deal with the republicans along the lines of they let us at Bush and the neo cons and we let them at immigration reform. We're likely to end up in some of the same places.

10:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home